After a few decades of working and raising a family, it’s understandable that you might want to take some time for yourself. A lot of Boomers and mature people do this by travelling for a few weeks, a few months or maybe even a year. Given that you are most likely in your peak earning years, this is an excellent time to do so. Many companies and organisations cater to mature travellers and making it possible to find a group focusing on your specific interest. However, whether you are travelling alone or with a group, you should always take precautions to ensure safe travels.
If You Are Travelling By Cruise Ship/Travelling the Seas
Cruises can be extremely enjoyable and beautiful experiences as you see multiple destinations while only unpacking once – on the ship. With so many cruises available, you could find yourself sailing through the Mediterranean or across the whole world. The destination is up to you, but remember:
• If you are travelling alone, try and find a friend to pair up with at night.
• If you have access to a safe, use it to store your valuables. The best option would be to keep essential items on your body at all times, such as your wallet and passport, but this is not always an option.
• Don’t carry around too much cash at a time and don’t consume too much alcohol. Not only will there be thieves on a large cruise ship, but you should also be careful and in control when walking along the docks if the weather is a bit windy.
If You Are Travelling By RV / Taking A Road Trip
Road trips give you a lot of freedom, making it a great option for creating your individual schedule gives you the opportunity to see non-traditional attractions.
• Make sure you drink, eat and sleep enough. Take a break regularly or switch drivers, because too many accidents are due to tiredness.
• Be cautious of weather warnings and keep your eye on the horizon. Don’t get caught in a storm while driving through 40 miles of desert.
• Don’t depend on a GPS or your smartphone. Always bring a physical map of the locations you will visit and learn how to use it, before travelling.
If You Are Travelling By Bus / Taking A Bus Tour
Bus Tours are a fantastic way to meet like-minded people and see a variety of sights, with everything included in the price. Touring companies cater to your needs and can provide an element of safety, as you are travelling with a large group. You should, however, take some of the following precautions:
• Keep an eye on your luggage. With a large group, it can be easy to lose your bag or wallet amidst a crowd. In busy locations, keep your wallet and passport where you can see them, preferably in a secured and zipped bag in front of you.
• Feel free to say no to optional excursions that aren’t of interest to you. When tour guides are looking to earn commission, but is not mandatory. Don’t feel pressured to partake if you don’t want to.
With these simple safety tips, you can be sure to have a fun and safe travelling experience. Don’t forget your passport and the sunscreen if it’s hot. Having a burn can be sure to ruin your trip.